Within the SNF-funded research project "M&A Decisions: Behavioral and Process Perspectives on Actors, Biases, and Potential Remedies" the Competence Center for Mergers and Acquisitions (chair Prof. Dr. Dr. Tomi Laamanen) seeks to appoint 1-2 60% Doctoral Candidates/Research Associates (beginning upon agreement). In this multi-year project, funded by the Swiss National Science foundation, we adopt a behavioral lens to examine the role of different actors, such as corporate decision-makers, advisors, consultants, and stock-market participants, and explore dysfunctional tendencies in M&A decision-making. Drawing on different data-sources, the project adopts both quantitative and qualitative methodological approaches. To support these research activities, we look for a doctoral candidate who is seeking to conduct her/his PhD research in the context of this project. Besides conducting research, the candidate is expected to contribute to seminars, conferences, and outreach activities and provide support for administrative and teaching activities related to the project.
- Interest in conducting high quality research using quantitative and/or qualitative methods, participating in international conferences and publishing in premier journals
- Interest in Mergers and Acquisitions, Behavioral Theory, and Strategic Decision-Making
- Analytical skills, self-discipline, good collaborative skills, and the ability to work independently
- Master's degree in a related field (e.g. social sciences) with a final grade of 5.0 or higher (candidates who will complete their Master's degree within the next few months may also apply)
- Eligibility to St. Gallen's PhD program in Management (PMA). Please check the admission requirements at: https://www.unisg.ch/en/studium/zulassungundanmeldung/zuldoktoratsstufe/pma
- Closing date: July 15th (or until position is filled)
The competence center for Mergers and Acquisitions belongs to the Institute of Strategy and Management at the University of St.Gallen (HSG-IoSM). We conduct academic research, teaching, and thesis supervision in the area of M&A. We engage with the business community for data collection and knowledge transfer and maintain international research collaborations with scholars from leading business schools around the world.
We are looking forward to your online-application.
For job-related questions
Prof. Dr. Tomi Laamanen
Ordentlicher Professor für Strategisches Management
Tel.: +41 71 224 23 63
«As Chair Professor I am looking forward receiving your application for this new job!»
Prof. Dr. Xena Welch-Guerra
Tel.: +41 71 224 27 95
«I am delighted that you are interested in this position at our University and would be pleased to meet you soon.»
University of St.Gallen
«A place where knowledge is created» - As one of Europe's leading universities of economics and business administration, the University of St.Gallen (HSG), Switzerland, is committed to the education of over 8800 students. The HSG is one of the largest employers in the region and provides an attractive and innovative environment for more than 3300 researchers, educators and professional staff.